The student news site of Eugene A. Tighe Middle School

The Shrine of the Shore by Katie C.

April 30, 2015

Sushi that could shame Tokyo, burgers that could send McDonald’s into a shuddering death, waiters and waitresses that could out-smile the emoji button.”

— Katie C.

“God,” I murmured, my chopsticks dipped halfway into the small tub of soy sauce off the side of my sushi plate. “Why haven’t I tried this before?”

My brother chuckled through his hamburger, something that was bigger than his head─which is pretty big, might I add─and bit into it, cow juice streaming off the edge of his chin. He halfheartedly swiped it away with the tips of his fingers, licking them with the movement. I don’t blame him.

“Dunno,” he said, obviously too engulfed within the glories of his burger to mind a thing that I say. I looked over to see my parents talking with the owners, being that they’re friends, and look up to the TV playing football in the corner, thinking, Why did I ever go to any other restaurant in my life?

Truthfully, if you have never been to Tomatoes in Margate, New Jersey, you have never lived. Sushi that could shame Tokyo, burgers that could send McDonald’s into a shuddering death, waiters and waitresses that could out-smile the emoji button. Never had this experience? Well, if you want to taste heaven in its varying, delicious forms, I would head on down to 9300 Amherst Avenue in Margate, New Jersey─the banging spot with the most finger-lickin’-good food, an atmosphere that could resemble the faraway future, and service fit for little Prince George.

Let’s just say that if you fed the Colonel Tomatoes’ fried chicken, he would pack up and move right back to Kentucky, where he belongs.”

— Katie C.

First off, because I cannot contain my excitement about it, let’s discuss the food at Tomatoes: a gift from the angels above. There’s a proven fact that, if you’re human, you like sushi; well, then, this is the place for you! The sushi at Tomatoes is better than anything else on the island and is caught fresh by fishermen from our own local towns─that means no old, crummy, freezer-burned fish that most restaurants serve in the winter. Also, this place has anything that you could ask for: delicious food from casual to fancy. Let’s just say that if you fed the Colonel Tomatoes’ fried chicken, he would pack up and move right back to Kentucky, where he belongs. The food is versatile, meaning that it could be for both lunch and dinner─and, might I just say, the leftovers are so amazing that when you eat them the next day, they taste like they came straight out of the oven! So, you’re a vegetarian? No problemo! Tomatoes has many options minus the meat. Something highly recommended by my classmates? The fried calamari! Trust me, Tomatoes’ food is out of this world.

When you walk in, it’s dark, like a sultry nightclub minus the strobe lights and pounding noise…”

— Katie C.

As well as amazing food, Tomatoes has the best atmosphere on the Jersey Shore. When you walk in, it’s dark, like a sultry nightclub minus the strobe lights and pounding noise, and the first thing that you see is the bar. Usually, bars are old, demented slabs of wood with a few dilapidated stools, but the bar at Tomatoes is like a piece of glass art from another dimension. It’s an amazing piece of architecture that anyone can appreciate, whether you drink or not. Although the bar-bar is pretty to the eye, my favorite bar is the sushi bar. The designated sushi chefs stand on their just-out-of-Japan platform and begin whipping up fresh fish, and they allow you to watch their interesting techniques through a few small pieces of glass shielding the fish from the outside world. How cool is that? Also, there’s live music or soft music sounding through speakers, and TV screens are always playing football or baseball or some other all-American sport. But don’t worry, it’s not too loud! Somehow, the layout of Tomatoes has special designs to minimize noises so that you can hear yourself talk, which is a problem that I have at many restaurants. How can you tell if you’re screaming or not if your brain is clogged with chatter?

The service at Tomatoes is the best that I’ve ever had in my lifetime. They deliver the food precisely when they see you become hungry, and the food is never too hot or too cold. Need something? Just ask! The waiter or waitress will be right by your side. Also, did I mention that the servers are friendly? Most restaurants on the shore that I have been to tend to have a few temperamental servers, but not Tomatoes! Their servers are always smiling, never missing a beat. Also, the owners are extremely kind and completely genuine─something that I haven’t yet witnessed How nice it is to see owners who sincerely care about their customers!

In conclusion, Tomatoes is the best on the shore. Some might say, “Well, it’s too fancy for me.” And that just might be your position, but I can assure you that nothing can beat the laid-back atmosphere, spectacular service, and scrumptious food that Tomatoes provides. So, how about you meet me at the shrine of the shore: Tomatoes!
By Katie Carter

Carmen Rhone, Owner

Tomatoes Margate

9300 Amherst Avenue

Margate, NJ 08402

tomatoes

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Rhone and Tomatoes Staff,

Your restaurant truly is the best on the Jersey Shore; there’s no if’s, and’s, or but’s about it. For our ELA class in school, we were asked to choose a restaurant that we took in high regards and create a persuasive essay based on our opinion of it; as you can tell, I have written about my all-time favorite restaurant: Tomatoes. Your food is fantastic, the service is superb, and the atmosphere is amazing. What’s there not to love?

Thank you so much for hosting my b’nai mitzvah; I couldn’t have asked for a better place for it to be held and better people to hold itーI greatly appreciate it, and everybody had an awesome time!

Thank you again and hope to see some tuna!

Sincerely,

Katie Carter