What’s New at Tighe

Welcome back to Tighe School everyone! I’m Bella R. and I’m here to update the returning 6th, 7th, and 8th grades and to inform our 5th grade newcomers about what’s new at Tighe!

I think one of the amazing new additions to our school is the bell system. Every period a bell will ring when the period is over, and two minutes later a bell will ring to tell you you’re late. You have to remember though, the bell doesn’t dismiss you, the teachers do. It’s still their class and you’re still a student.

Another wonderful addition this year is TEAM Tighe. Last year it was Tighe Heroes, for all you fifth grades not in the know. It changes every year and keeps the year new and fresh. I believe this is one of the best themes yet. It encourages working together, caring about your team, and school spirit.

Now for the changes to our school. Instead of a semester, we now have a trimester. This means we have three marking periods, not like in the past when we had four. I think this is good, and kinda bad. First, the good. Three marking periods means you have more time to get good grades. If you bomb a test, it’ll be okay. You have way more time than last year to bump your grade up. We also split up music, art, and Life Skills (more on that later) more easily. The bad news is you have more time to fail.

Instead of talking about grades, let’s talk about the new lockdown drills. The school has added alarm systems to the lockdowns. When the lockdown finishes, a warning will go to the Smartboard so you know you’re safe. Everything else about lockdowns is the same, though. You still need to be quiet until you are told otherwise. I think this is an important and much needed addition.

This year Tighe School has a brand new class, Life Skills! It is a class where you learn the skills you need when you’re older. For example, you learn about budgeting, buying a house, jobs, and many other day to day adult issues. You also cook, an addition many teachers and students have wanted.

This year, so far, has been unlike any other. It’s new and a breath of fresh air. I, Bella R., hope everyone has a great new year, especially our new 5th graders and our graduating 8th graders!

• What’s New at Tighe

Reviews

Michael Bay (*sigh)

• What’s New at Tighe

Reviews

Cloud Storms into Super Smash Brothers for Wii U and 3DS

• What’s New at Tighe

Reviews

Mockingjay Part 2 Movie Review

• What’s New at Tighe

Reviews

Once You Go, You’ll Love it Pho Life by Kai T.

• What’s New at Tighe

Reviews

Heaven, California Style by Maddie A.

• What’s New at Tighe

Reviews

Chow Down at Chido Burrito by Mara B.

• What’s New at Tighe

Reviews

The Shrine of the Shore by Katie C.

• What’s New at Tighe

Reviews

The Sweet Beat Segment by Simone G.

• What’s New at Tighe

Reviews

Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 Movie Review by Katie C.

• What’s New at Tighe

Student Stories

My Life as A 5th Grade by Joey R.

The student news site of Eugene A. Tighe Middle School
What’s New at Tighe