The student news site of Eugene A. Tighe Middle School

The Sweet Beat Segment by Simone G.

February 24, 2015

Photographs courtesy of Simone G.

Photographs courtesy of Simone G.

Photographs courtesy of Simone G.

One of the things I love most  is baking, so many different recipes and so many flavors. For this reason, I’d like to share my love with you by creating a new segment called “The Sweet Beat.” This is where I will try different sweets from area bakeries and try to recreate the flavor in a new and different way.

The bakery I went to this time was Simply Sweet in Egg Harbor City. The owners actually won an episode of Cupcake Wars, a show that airs on Food Network.

The bakery had a nice selection, and it was difficult to choose just one flavor, but in the end, I chose a turtle cupcake. This was a dark chocolate cupcake with caramel in the middle and whipped cream frosting that was topped with pecans, chocolate drizzling, and caramel drizzling.

Finally, it’s time for the anticipated moment… tasting! When I bit into the turtle, my tongue was trapped in a flurry of flavors. ”

— Simone G.

I was very satisfied with the taste of the cupcake. The frosting wasn’t too sweet; the caramel had a nice consistency; and the overall blend of the chocolate and caramel made a sweet combination. I’d say this cupcake was a winner!

When I thought about how tasty the turtle cupcake was, I thought I would stay with the basic flavors and create a classic turtle candy. Now, I’ve never had  a turtle candy, so I was looking forward to tasting one that I made myself.

The process was fairly easy except for making the caramel and  tempering the chocolate .  A candy thermometer is definitely necessary.  For me, the easiest part was arranging the roasted pecans. (By the way, roasted pecans taste so much better than eating them straight from the bag.)   You set them up three at a time, two side by side, and one angled on top.  Sadly though, when I poured the caramel and chocolate on, it looked nothing like a turtle.  The most difficult part was making the caramel. I had to put the ingredients in, which was fairly easy, and then I had to stir the mixture and heat to EXACTLY 234 degrees (Fahrenheit)!  If I went under, the caramel would be too sticky; if I went over, it would be too hard!  You can find the recipe here: http://www.alaskafromscratch.com/2012/12/17/salted-dark-chocolate-caramel-pecan-turtles/ .

Now, I did make some changes with the recipe, like toasting the pecans in the oven instead of on the stove; using corn syrup instead of honey for the caramel; tempering the chocolate instead of microwaving it with shortening; and sprinkling salt on top of the turtles.

Finally, it’s time for the anticipated moment… tasting! When I bit into the turtle, my tongue was trapped in a flurry of flavors.  (Don’t worry, they were all good though!) It truly was a sweet success! I guess it’s good that I have so many left! It’s always a splendid feeling when your treats truly turn out! That’s about it for this issue.  Remember, sweets CAN’T be Beat!!!!!

apic3

apic