The student news site of Eugene A. Tighe Middle School

Mathletes by Simone G. and John A.

April 20, 2015

On a nerve-wracking Friday in February, the anxious kids received the results for the final team. Simone, John, Joey, Patrick, Landon, Emily, and Sydney were the final seven. The team captain was John.”

— Simone G.

On January thirteenth, ten fifth graders had their stomachs in knots as they waited to take the 5th grade Mathletes tryout test that would guarantee their spots on the team. The Mathletes would be made up of five to seven math-smart fifth graders. Even if they got in, the students would still have to earn their place on the team permanently by taking even more assessments! It was certainly not going to be a test for the lighthearted. The eight people who made it were Robert C., John A., Simone G., Emily C., Patrick B., and Joey C. It was Sydney D. and Landon R. who scored the highest, earning them a definite spot on the team. At the last practice, the team’s captain would be announced. (Even if you didn’t make it on the team, you still had the guts to try out!)

The enthusiastic team worked intensely in Mrs. Scott’s classroom since the the tryout, taking tests by themselves and working together in groups They also received a “healthy” amount of homework!  The group met every Thursday from 3:00 PM to 3:35 PM, and until  3:45 PM in the month of March. On a nerve-wracking Friday in February, the anxious kids received the results for the final team. Simone, John, Joey, Patrick, Landon, Emily, and Sydney were the final seven.  The team captain was John.

Now it was time for the main event… the competition!

The event took place at the Egg Harbor Township Elementary School, with a whopping 26 teams competing! After the teams were together with all members and coaches present, they all walked nervously into the gym (where the individual events took place).Taking the test was difficult, for they only had thirty minutes to answer ten questions. That’s about  three minutes for each problem! While the answers for the individual event were being looked over by officials, the team event began! This time, there was only twenty minutes to answer ten questions. At last, the challenging tests were over, and the teams could let out a sigh of relief.

Finally, the awards ceremony began. John and Landon scored an impressive five points out of ten, earning them a book of math riddles! After that, they discovered their team did not place. While this was sad to learn, the team had given the competition their all, which was all that mattered.