Cloud Storms into Super Smash Brothers for Wii U and 3DS

If you’re a kid from the 21st century, you’ve probably played or own the game Super Smash Brothers for Wii U. If you DON’T KNOW about this game, it’s a fighting game with characters from all of the Nintendo game franchises. You can play as Mario and Luigi, Link from the Legend of Zelda series, Pikachu from Pokémon, and so many more iconic faces. There are also more characters you can play as from third-party companies like Sonic the Hedgehog, Megaman, Ryu from Street Fighter, and the perfect segue to the main point of this article, Cloud Strife from the hit game on the original Playstation, Final Fantasy VII. On November 12th, 2015, Nintendo of America president, Reggie Fils-Amié, announced that this blond swordsman would be joining the fight on a later date. Jump to December 15th, 2015, and the online store on the Wii U is jammed with people downloading Cloud and his stage, Midgar, which is the first area of Final Fantasy VII.

Certain things should stay as they are. If it’s good, don’t redo it.”

— Sebastian S.

Cloud has an interesting moveset that is very close to his home game. Now I am going to be using the proper terms when explaining his moveset, so if you don’t know what something means, just ask me in person. His standard special is his Blade Beam. It does just what you’d think it does; it sends a beam of energy at the opponent. His side special is his Cross-Slash which is a lightning-fast five hit combo (*fun fact: if you look at the five slashes he makes with his sword, they make the Japanese kanji for the word kyo*). His up special, or his recover move, is the Climhazzard. It is a super-fast upward strike, and if the command is put in again, he will dive down while attacking to end the move. This second part can be cancelled out by not inputting the second command to avoid killing yourself while you’re in the air with no ground below you. His down special is his Limit Charge. Limit Charge slowly fills the gauge that represents your limit. This can also be cancelled by dodging left or right, or spot dodging. Once your Limit gauge is full, Cloud will go into Limit Break mode. This is an overdrive move that surrounds him in a blue, fiery, aura, and increases his speed, jump, attack, and powers up all special moves. His Final Smash, or super combo, is his signature Omnislash. Cloud dashes forward at high speed and flings any opponents he runs into to the top of the screen. After a quick 20+ hit combo, Cloud charges up a final blow which sends him and his victims careening to the ground, causing a huge explosion that sends them flying with high knockback. I’ve played a couple of matches with Cloud, and he is a really balanced and tactful character. All of his attacks can chain into combos and, in conclusion, he is a great addition into the Smash roster.

• Cloud Storms into Super Smash Brothers for Wii U and 3DS

Reviews

Michael Bay (*sigh)

Reviews

Mockingjay Part 2 Movie Review

Reviews

Once You Go, You’ll Love it Pho Life by Kai T.

Reviews

Heaven, California Style by Maddie A.

Reviews

Chow Down at Chido Burrito by Mara B.

Reviews

The Shrine of the Shore by Katie C.

Reviews

The Sweet Beat Segment by Simone G.

Reviews

Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 Movie Review by Katie C.

Student Stories

My Life as A 5th Grade by Joey R.

Tighe Events

The Little Mermaid by Liza M.

The student news site of Eugene A. Tighe Middle School