Michael Bay (*sigh)

Certain things should stay as they are. If it’s good, don’t redo it.This was the case with recent Transformers movies and the 2014 movie, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Director of both of these movies, Michael Bay, has COMPLETELY redone both franchises to make them a hardcore action movie with one or more explosion in each scene. 80’s cartoons like Transformers, Thundercats, He-Man, Gargoyles, and X-Men are very well made and may be a whole genre of TV programing.

Around 2007, a movie was released simply titled, Transformers. The movie was a sub-par adaptation of the Robots in Disguise and featured iconic characters like Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Megatron, and Starscream. Transformers ignored a majority of source material and made the Transformers the child of EVERY ACTION MOVIE AFTER 1998. The Transformers were altered to be more realistic and had some new designs. Optimus Prime now has more decals as his 18-wheeler form, and they made Bumblebee turn into a Ford Mustang instead of his lovable sub-compact car transformation. The movie was directed by the one and only, Michael Bay, and Transformers, the movie, was the start of shall I say “a magical journey.” This movie gained half of its money because of the fact that Mark Wahlberg starred in it and the rest of its sequels. The movie franchise lasted briefly having only four installments. The sequels added new gimmicks every time as evidenced in the second movie adding the Constructor Bot, Devastator, and in the fourth one adding the Dinobots, and my favorite Transformer, Grimlock.

Michael Bay has moved on from this series and has decided to reboot another 80’s cartoon, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. This show had to be one of the most popular Saturday programs on TV. The four turtles, named after famous artists Leonardo, Raphael, Donatello, and Michelangelo, kick baddies right out of their shells and have an eternal goal to stop the main villain, Shredder, and his army, the Foot Clan. The 2014 movie directed by Michael Bay was better at adapting the source material than Transformers. All important characters were featured and the turtles were funny and loveable as always, and Shredder was evil, jacked, and menacing as always. After a year since the movie’s debut, a teaser trailer was released announcing the sequel simply titled, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2. Even more nostalgic characters are being rebooted like Casey Jones, Krang, and my two favorite characters, Beebop and Rocksteady. These two were Shredders’ best dumb and rad henchmen. I, myself, am very excited for the new movie and plan to see it the first nanosecond it drops in movie theaters in 2016. Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to fight a robot ninja and his army of cyborgs…bye for now!

• Michael Bay (*sigh)

Reviews

Cloud Storms into Super Smash Brothers for Wii U and 3DS

• Michael Bay (*sigh)

Reviews

Mockingjay Part 2 Movie Review

• Michael Bay (*sigh)

Reviews

Once You Go, You’ll Love it Pho Life by Kai T.

• Michael Bay (*sigh)

Reviews

Heaven, California Style by Maddie A.

• Michael Bay (*sigh)

Reviews

Chow Down at Chido Burrito by Mara B.

• Michael Bay (*sigh)

Reviews

The Shrine of the Shore by Katie C.

• Michael Bay (*sigh)

Reviews

The Sweet Beat Segment by Simone G.

• Michael Bay (*sigh)

Reviews

Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 Movie Review by Katie C.

• Michael Bay (*sigh)

Student Stories

My Life as A 5th Grade by Joey R.

• Michael Bay (*sigh)

Tighe Events

The Little Mermaid by Liza M.

The student news site of Eugene A. Tighe Middle School
Michael Bay (*sigh)