The Words That Know No Language by Bella R.

I over-exaggerate my hand movements to emphasize the unhealthy amount of sarcasm I just put into my last sentence. [/pullquote]My feet slide across the silky, smooth sand as I criticize my friend on his idiotic choice of footwear. “I mean -Come on! Who wears brand new sneakers to the beach?”

“Well, I guess I do,” Jason replies smugly. He’s the stupidest best friend a girl can have. We continue our beautifully pointless conversation for God knows how long. When we  finally realize how stupid our talk about sneakers and sand is, something catches my eye. I stop and squint for a second, then sprint over to the object bobbing in the water.

“Hey!” Jason yells from a few feet behind me. “What is it?” I walk into the water, about ankle deep and bend over to pick up something shiny and multi-colored.

“It’s a bottle!” I yell back, “I think there’s a note inside!” I give him a few seconds to catch up to me. I’m a pretty fast runner, while he’s as slow as molasses.

“A note? Cool. What’s it say?” I unscrew the cap and flip the bottle upside down so the note slides gently into my hand. A take a moment to read it in my head.

“‘Recite These Words and a Door Shall Open To Chaos.’” I recite in my most mysterious voice. I flip the paper over to look at the “chaos words” and find something that is definitely not English. “Wierd. What language even is this?” I ask. Jason snatches the paper out of my hand and stares at the words for a few seconds.

“No idea.” He scratches his head. “Ro-ro’lare? That’s not a word from any language I know, and I can speak four different languages!”

“Yes, show off, we all know you’re smart and cool, but if even you don’t know what it is, how will we ever know? ” I over-exaggerate my hand movements to emphasize the unhealthy amount of sarcasm I just put into my last sentence. “I know! How about we go to this all knowing guru I heard about? I believe his name was Google!” Jason just rolls his eyes at me. What a Jason response. I snatch the paper back and start sprinting across the beach, which is quite a feat considering how hard running on sand is. I wait a few seconds for Jason to catch up, then I slip on my sandals and we speed bike back to my house.

We leave our bikes in the backyard and sprint up the stairs while I yell a quick “Hi Mom! Hi Mad!” so my parents know I’m home. I sit in my fabulous swivel chair and open Google Chrome. I look at the piece of paper and typed it out letter by letter. “R-O-L-A-R R-E-Z-A-R O-N-A-R.” I click enter and only one website shows up. I press refresh to make sure I’m not seeing things. I’ve never seen just one website show up. It’s either thousands of websites or none at all. I hesitantly click on the link. It opens to just a black screen. “Really? All that and it’s just a troll?” I throw my arms up in irritation, but before I can do anything else, a cold voice echoes around my room.

“Ro’lare Re’zar O’nar.” I stand up and look around for the disembodied voice. Jason looks like he’s seen a ghost, and I think we just heard one. Before either of us can speak a word, I heard a little POP! behind me. I spin around to see a hole floating in mid air.

“What is that?” Jason squeaks.

“Absolutely no idea,” I squeak back. I step closer to the floating hole and look inside. I see floating islands with vast greenery. I see waterfalls floating down to somewhere far away, and birds soaring across the ever expanding sky. “Wow!” I say in awe. Jason walks up beside me and looks inside too.

“Are we dead? ‘cause that looks like heaven.” I just nod in agreement. I hear another POP! behind me. We turn in unison, hoping to get a better look at this other world. This hole is not so pretty. It’s a black forest with giant trees and overgrowth everywhere. Creepy. Scary. Awesome. I take a step and suddenly a giant venus flytrap snaps at me. I yell and bump into Jason. I look back at it. Thank God it’s way too big to fit through the hole. “And that does not look like heaven,” he comments.

“Yeah,” I say, “I don’t think there are venus flytraps in heaven. This better not be a little hole of horror.” The venus flytrap snaps and snaps at me, but only ends up eating air. He’s really persistent. I’m just about to ask Jason what the heck we should do, when another loud POP! sounds right in front of my window. It’s the creepy forest again, but this time vines are growing from it, making my room seem more like a rainforest than a room. Another POP! And another. And another. “We need to do something!” I yell. I look out the window to see more holes. Great. Jason bites his lip and furrows his brow, like he does when he’s really thinking hard. He snaps his fingers and makes me jump.

“The bottle!” he says, “Where is it?” I run over to my desk and search.

“I left it at the beach!” I slap my forehead with my hand. “I’m such an idiot! I was in such a rush to find what those ‘chaos words’ meant!”

“Maybe the bottle has an answer! Or maybe the beach has one!” Jason rambles on about how the beach must be magical. My room is starting to looks like Tarzan’s jungle, so I grab the paper and Jason’s arm and drag him to our bikes. We hop on and speed bike to the beach. As we ride, I see more and more holes popping up and more and more vines growing everywhere. I swerve trying to avoid a stupid plant that blocked the road.I look up a head for a second and see the stairs leading to the beach. In that split second, a hole thought it was the perfect time to POP! into existence. It catches my wheel and I tumble off of my bike. Jason stops for a second.

“Go on ahead of me! Find the bottle!” I yell at him. He nods and pedals ahead. I stand up and brush the dirt off my jeans. I look back and the entire town is starting to look a rainforest. That is not good. I think. I sprint over to the stairs, jump up two steps at a time and run across the beach to Jason. He found the bottle. Thank god. He’s on his knees examining it. He doesn’t look too happy. Great, there’s nothing. I reach him. “Anything?”

“No!” he screams in frustration. “Nothing! This bottle’s so dumb!”

“Bottle’s can’t be dumb, but you’re being super dumb right now!” I snap at him. I guess I just need to get my frustration out. “Stop being useless and look for something! Anything!” I stand up and look around. Something bobbing in the water catches my eye. For a second I think I’m getting deja vu. I blink a few times. I then run over to the water, walking ankle deep into the water yet again. I open the bottle and take out the slip of paper. As I run back to Jason, I see more and more vines creeping their way towards us like slimy snakes. I make it to him and read the slip of paper.

Read These Words And The Chaos Door Shall Close: Oka’nar La’pasar Su’lin.” I recite. A loud Bang! sounds all around us. The holes close with loud POP! and the vines disappear. I collapse on the sand and start huffing and puffing like a big bad wolf.

“That was insane!” Jason says breathlessly to me.

“You said it,” I lay down and just look up at the sky. “What a crazy day!”

• The Words That Know No Language by Bella R.

Reviews

Michael Bay (*sigh)

Reviews

Cloud Storms into Super Smash Brothers for Wii U and 3DS

Reviews

Mockingjay Part 2 Movie Review

Reviews

Once You Go, You’ll Love it Pho Life by Kai T.

Reviews

Heaven, California Style by Maddie A.

Reviews

Chow Down at Chido Burrito by Mara B.

Reviews

The Shrine of the Shore by Katie C.

Reviews

The Sweet Beat Segment by Simone G.

Reviews

Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 Movie Review by Katie C.

Student Stories

My Life as A 5th Grade by Joey R.

The student news site of Eugene A. Tighe Middle School