The student news site of Eugene A. Tighe Middle School

Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 Movie Review by Katie C.

February 10, 2015

Image courtesy of http://static.skynetblogs.be/

No, I am not one of those weird fangirls who sit in the back of the theater waiting for either Peeta or Gale to rip their shirts off. No, I do not obsessively watch and wait for the Hunger Games movie trailers to come on. But what do I do? I watch the movies.

Truthfully, I couldn’t even get through half of the original Hunger Games book, mostly because the thought of children killing children disgusted me. Despite the rage that was sweeping through so many schools, I dissed the books (that’s a first for me!) and watched the movie. And mostly, I hated it. I found the second Hunger Games movie so boring that I thought that I would fall asleep in the theater! From then on, I vowed to myself that I would never see a Hunger Games movie again. Until now.

It. Was. The. BEST! It had action, it had drama, Jennifer Lawrence didn’t mouth breathe the whole time…it was stunning. It was one of those movies that made you flinch in your seat, knowing that something was going to happen, not knowing what it was. One second Jennifer was visiting the wounded in a hospital, the next minute everything was being blown up, metal shrapnel flying everywhere in sight. And who knew that Jennifer/Katniss could sing?! I certainly didn’t, not after she claimed that she couldn’t on Saturday Night Live.

The plot of this movie begins after the rebellion, after Katniss is in District 13, a safe haven that was thought to have been destroyed. Turns out that the members are all living underground, along with Katniss, and have been planning an even larger rebellion than ever imagined. Of course, there was no rebellion in this movie (what do you think that Part 2 is for?) although there are a few bombings and slaughter-scenes. The Capitol has Peeta, Johanna, and Annie ( Finnick’s fiance) in captivity, trying to bring force against Katniss, the Mockingjay. And what’s even worse? Peeta was brainwashed against the love of his life and his district 12 Hunger Games partner, Katniss Everdeen.

My rating of this? 4 out of 5. It’s an awesome movie, but not the best  that I’ve ever seen. First of all, where’s the rebellion? I was looking for some REAL slaughter and murder-a four year old could handle this! But, at the same time, Katniss and Gail’s feelings are ever-changing, and the buildup of suspense makes for the lack of gore. I would recommend that you see this movie-it’s the best Hunger Games so far!